Thursday 2 March 2017

Wine. Red. Right here. Urgh.



I'm not really counting days but I know I am heading into my third month of no booze. 3 months!?? A whole quarter of a year!!! (Ok, ok approx 70 days)

I recognise I have been fortunate enough to not to have any real physical cravings (I don't think). Also, the timing of my choice to quit, means I started over the darkest, Wintery UK months. You know the time of year, where nothing really happens, everyone is on a diet, so I haven't felt I have had to turn down any special occasions to protect my sober plans. 

I have definitely taken myself out of harms way a few times, I've turned down a few social occasions but nothing that would draw attention. Last week, I went to dinner in a swanky restaurant with 2 heavy drinking mates (and broke the news to them - went down great!) and ordered a lovely mocktail. They churned their way through red wine and cocktails (my two fav poisons) but I was ok. I did find myself glancing at trays of drinks going past the table, sneaking a peak at peoples glasses and wondering how much they were drinking, and what they were drinking, but honestly these thoughts really were no more than fleeting. The company was great and as I drove home I was really proud of myself of jumping the first big social hurdle and convinced myself that being around alcohol is no biggie. 

My husband has a few beers in the fridge. I notice them when I reach for the milk, But no biggie. 

I have walked the wine isle in the supermarket for a present and to collect some asian lager for my hubby so he can have it with his curry - no biggie. 

Look at me!!?? It's like alcohol never even existed!!? How awesome and strong minded am I? I may start doing talks or something................

........last night. After being away from home for 3 nights with work. I was so pleased to be home, I hugged the kids, excitedly told hubby about how work is going, we talked about dinner plans after kids went down, I walk in the kitchen AND THERE IS A FUCKING BOTTLE OF RED FUCKING WINE ON THE BASTARD COUNTER. 

Why? The only person who drinks that is me? My old friend that caused all this trouble. Why is it there? In my space?  Like a stark island. Like a twatting illuminated picture in a dark museum. I snapped at hubby and demanded an explanation. He said he was given it by a colleague and just popped it on the counter and didnt give it another thought. I asked him to get rid of it and he put it in the cupboard. Still visable. Still there. So I moved it into the garage the next day. 

I didnt want to tell the poor bloke off, as I have probably given the easy breasy vibe that being around alcohol is no biggie (see above examples of my coolness).  But I felt I had to bring it up today, to explain in no uncertain terms that I would have expected him to be more considerate. I know this will never happen again as he is a kind man who listens to his wife BUT I could tell he was thinking I was making a mountain out of a molehill. He even said "I dont care if you pour it down the sink" which is sort of missing the point. 

I'm sure my reaction to it's presence is a reflection of my previous drinking rules. I always had control in public, at parties, at dinner, its at home where I really let rip with the red winage. I recognise that my "its no biggie" is a tad fraudulent. 

Was I over reacting yelling at him indoors? Am I giving mixed messages? Have you done the same? 

Are you ok to be around booze at your stage? 



I would love to have your opinion. 




2 comments:

  1. I don't keep booze in the house even after 3 years.
    Why? I may have a low moment of anger and feel drinking at someone will help ( this sounds crazy, but I would rather err on the side of caution).

    I like knowing my house is alcohol free. I know my kids won't be sneaking drinks when they get a bit older!

    Take this opportunity to tell hubby how you feel. Communication is huge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do not waste anytime getting your drug addiction help because if you continue to use there is no telling what kind of consequence you will have to face. There are ways to overcome an addiction to drug or alcohol or smoking if you..are tired of living the way you are.
    Kratom Treatment
    Kratom Rehab

    ReplyDelete